Sunday, March 24, during 9:30 Worship Service - Join us as we honor La Amistad and our United Church of Christ during Worship!
There will be a showing of the movie Amistad on Wednesday, March 20, at 6:15 p.m. You are welcome to come to toGather supper at 5:30 p.m. before the movie – please RSVP to Laura Bernabei by Tuesday, March 23. Also, you may watch the movie on your own or borrow the DVD from Pastor Jane.
The Amistad was and is many things:
• It was a Cuban coasting schooner,
• It was a famous court case,
• It was an historic event that shaped the nation and the United Church of Christ
• It is a contemporary floating museum,
• It is a special Sunday in the United Church of Christ (UCC)
• It is an inspiration.
Amistad Sunday honors, emphasizes, and underscores the historic commitment of the UCC to the work of justice and compassion! Beginning in 1839, the work of “black and white” Congregationalists helped to secure the release of 53 captive Africans who struggled courageously for their freedom aboard La Amistad.
The fruits of their labors not only inspired Christian witness for justice in the mid-1800s, but also helped build a lasting movement for racial, economic, and social justice in the UCC!